We have just learned that Golden Beats will be coming to the Main Library on Tuesday, March 25, at 10:30 a.m., with an Olympic-themed performance. Their high-energy style is just the thing to get your week off to a rousing start!
Check out this video from their September pirate program:
February was Library Lovers Month. Children, teens and adults who visited the Main Library were invited to write “I ♥ my Library because…” on hearts for display on the Circulation desk.
There are numerous variations on “… because I love to read,” “… for the [books/movies/CDs/computers]”, and “… because of the [nice/friendly/kind/helpful] staff.” Here are some of our favorites. For the most part, we have kept the spelling and grammar as they appear on the hearts. Enjoy!
- I love how the library has books, computers, activities, movies & I love reading.
- I ♥ my library b-cuz it’s always a warm & cozy feeling when I walk in the building. The workers do their best to make sure I have what I need.
- I love the library cause is my 2nd home
- Because they can always help me with whatever I need.
- I love the library for the children’s movies
- This library is an excellent resource for knowledge lovers. The staff is wonderful and ready to help all the time. We are lucky to have the library.
- I love the library because it’s quiet and it’s a great place to study.
- I love my library because I love to read and play games and make new friends.
- Great readers for beginning readers
- I like books alot because I learn stuff that’s why books and librarys are cool
- I love the library; because I can take trips & adventures & visit old memories without having to leave my home
- … Its computer classes are AWESOME
- I love the cardboard CASTLES!
- I like the library because it makes my kids very happy!
- I love this Library because the clerk is cool and its all good
- … it indulges my need for creativity, dreaming, wondering, and imagining the possibilities for free!!
- Because of the books, and computers, and you can get smart and It a education environment that you can get help
- I ♥ the library because it’s quiet
- I love that I can put books on hold – and that you all work so hard to find what I need!
- I love my library because audio books are expensive :-)
- I can always find a great book to read & it is the best job I’ve ever had!
- … T.V. series and the very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- I gives me the knowledge my brain needs
- … I like using the literacy computer and checking out movies and books.
- I love my Library because I was jamming with the clerk :-)
- I love my library because it is the best job and my coworkers are like a second family
- I love the library for the story time
- I git to pik books out
- So many Places to go and Never leave Elkhart :-)
- I love my Library because the service is Awesome
- The Library has great resources for homeschooling.
- … because I have been coming here for years and everyone has always been so nice towards me. Happy Valentines Day
- So many books to keep me company on snow days!
- I love my library because it supplies my book, movie, and music addictions!
- … because it’s quiet and all the books/movies can take you on many adventures
- I love EPL because of the Fancy Nancy books & Princess movies.
- Because it’s AWESOME!
- We ♥ our library because it encourages our children’s imaginations. =)
- Why I love coming to the library Because of the pretty and polite Librarians. Exp. Tina, Patricia
- It’s the best way to travel the WORLD!
- This library give me love and joy! Plus they are very Nice.
- Everyone is just super! Close to home!
- I love the library because it’s so fun, and I like getting new books.
- It makes me feel warm & fuzzy & these are the bestest & nicest people in the world!!!
- I love my Library because of Jill, Tina, & Sarah
- I love my library because it’s a great place to come and get focused class-work done! =)
- I l♥ve my library because they have the most AWSOME comic Books !
- I love my library because it is conveniently located
- Books, books, books, books, books, books
- I love the library because of the fishes and because you can play on the computer.
- If it’s free It’s for me… knowledge… friends…community…
- Kis love love love
- … because I have always found it to be a place to expand my mind and give me inspiration! I use the media and computers every week and all the resources her art great!
- The variety of materials ♥
- I have always loved the library! Whenever I want to know something, I go to the library and take home a bag of books.
- The ladies are sweet and the movies are free like my heart. Ha ha
- Love the Library because… well, let’s face. It’s so cool!!
- Why I Love My Library Wow! It’s a great place to get books – the kind you can hold in hands!
- I love the manga here at main
- What’s not to love about FREE EDUCATION & ENTERTAINMENT
- I love the staff, Interlibrary Loan, & reading! ♥ To all of you!
- Books are knowledge. Use your Public Library
- Because I personally can’t afford all the books I need to read!!
- I love the library for the adventure, the quest for fun & knowledge.
- The kids section & the friendly staff ♥
- I love the smell of books
- I love the library because knowledge is the best thing to have!
- I love EPL for its service to the citizens of Elkhart!
- I love my Library because the librairians are totally awsome
- I love my library because I love to read, and they have tons of books! :-)
- Best Job Ever!
- I love the library help me to get information
- We love the Elkhart Library because they show us love
- What I like about the library is that there are a lot of books and fun things to do.
- Very Entertaining- passes cold nights at home
- … because of all of the wonderful booksI appreciate the youth programs (never get to an adult program), safe place to study, & entertainment. The library is the best!
- Because they always have a new selection
- Because they have everything I need.
- Love is in the air be ready everyone. I love my library because I can read books without paying fortune!
- I love MY Library and how it helps me keep learning ♥
- So much to LEARN!
- I love my library because of the fishies!
- Just wonderful & they are all nice. Thank you always!
- Love t come to the library because they are realy nice and helpful and my kids love comeing here to :-)
- Tina Ervin Is The Best. The Staff always helps me and they are sooo pleasant
- This is the best place in Elkhart to easy the mind relax and learn
- Staff is always ready to help! With a smile !!! :-) YOU ROCK!
The Friends of the Elkhart Public Library will hold their Annual Membership Meeting Wednesday, March 19, at 6:00 pm at the Main Library. Everyone is invited to attend!
The Friends will welcome guest speaker, Matt Schuld, manager of the Elkhart County Historical Museum. Mr. Schuld will talk about the Museum’s fine local history collection, as well its exciting events and developments. One such development is the recent collaboration with our own Elkhart Public Library in cataloging the book collection held in the Museum’s new Corson Library.
Following Mr. Schuld’s presentation, the Friends will hold their annual business meeting and election of officers.
From aliens, geeks, cuckoos and peculiar children to Biblical women, forgiveness and animal lives… here are the books we are reading. How about you?
ALIEN RESEARCH by Gini Koch (PSF)
A CORNER OF WHITE by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA FIC)
CROSSED by Ally Condie (YA FIC)
THE CUCKOO’S CALLING by Robert Galbraith [aka J. K. Rowling] (MYS)
DARK WOLF by Christine Feehan (ROM)
THE DAYS OF ANNA MADRIGAL by Armistead Maupin (FIC)
DEMON’S LEXICON by Sarah Rees Brennan (YA FIC)
GEEK: FANTASY NOVEL by E. Archer (YA FIC)
HEAVENLY PLEASURES by Kerry Greenwood (MYS)
THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET by Sandra Cisneros (FIC and 813.54 S219)
INNOCENT IN DEATH by J. D. Robb (MYS)
LIFETIME: THE AMAZING NUMBERS IN ANIMAL LIVES by Lola Schaefer (JUV 591.56 S294)
LYING WITH STRANGERS by Jonnie Jacobs • An exciting mystery! Why was the DA in such a bad part of town when he was shot? Whose bones have just been unearthed? Fast pace and multiple plot twists keep this moving along! ~ Debbie, Popular Materials
MARCH BOOK ONE by John Lewis (328.73092 L674m)
MIND MGMT by Matt Kindt (GN)
MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs (YA FIC)
ONE LIGHT STILL SHINES: MY LIFE BEYOND THE SHADOW OF THE AMISH SCHOOLHOUSE SHOOTING by Marie Monville (277.3083 M815) • Written by the the widow of the shooter, Charles Monville. Terrific Book! ~ Judi, Newspapers & Magazines
RIPPER by Isabel Allende (FIC)
ALL THE TRUTH THAT’S IN ME by Julie Berry (YA FIC)
WORKING WOMEN OF THE BIBLE: TIMELESS MENTORS FOR MODERN WOMEN by Susan Dimickele (220.92082 D582)
Happy March! Before you know it, we will be shedding overcoats, hats and gloves, and spending more time outdoors. Wouldn’t it be nice to come home to a no-fuss meal? Here’s an idea for getting warm weather-ready: While players race back and forth on the basketball court, spend some time in the kitchen cooking ahead. Whether you cook enough for a week or an entire month, these cookbooks offer recipes for those who plan ahead. When spring temperatures arrive and the outdoors is calling, dinner will be ready and waiting in the freezer!
THE BEST FREEZER COOKBOOK: 100 FREEZER FRIENDLY RECIPES, PLUS TIPS AND TECHNIQUES by Jan Main. R. Rose, c2008. 641.6153 M224
CAN I FREEZE IT?:HOW TO USE THE MOST VERSATILE APPLIANCE IN YOUR KITCHEN by Susie Theodorou. William Morrow, c2007. 641.6153 T388
DINNER IS READY!: A COMPLETE GUIDE TO FREEZING 30 MEALS IN JUST ONE DAY! by Deanna Buxton. Red Timer Inc., c2007. 641.555 B991
DON’T PANIC, DINNER’S IN THE FREEZER: GREAT-TASTING MEALS YOU CAN MAKE AHEAD by Susie Martinez. Revell, 2005. 641.555 M385
DON’T PANIC, MORE DINNER’S IN THE FREEZER: A SECOND HELPING OF TASTY MEALS YOU CAN MAKE AHEAD by Susie Martinez. Revell, c2009. 641.555 M385d
FROM WAREHOUSE TO YOUR HOUSE: MORE THAN 250 SIMPLE, SPECTACULAR RECIPES TO COOK, STORE, AND SHARE WHEN YOU BUY IN VOLUME by Sally Sampson. Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2006. 641.5 S192
MAKE-AHEAD MEALS: 100+ RECIPES FOR HOME-COOKED MEALS YOU CAN SERVE AT A MOMENT’S NOTICE by Victoria Shearer. Sellers Pub., c2011. 641.555 S539
ONCE-A-MONTH COOKING: A PROVEN SYSTEM FOR SPENDING LESS TIME IN THE KITCHEN AND ENJOYING DELICIOUS, HOMEMADE MEALS EVERY DAY by Mimi Wilson. St. Martin’s Press, 2007. 641.555 W751r
ONCE-A-MONTH COOKING FAMILY FAVORITES: MORE GREAT RECIPES THAT SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY FROM THE INVENTORS OF THE ULTIMATE DO-AHEAD DINNERTIME METHOD by Mimi Wilson. St. Martin’s Griffin, 2009. 641.555 W751o