Friends of the Elkhart Public Library
Gigantic Book Sale
at the Main Library in Downtown Elkhart
Thursday, March 14, 2013, 2-6 p.m. for Friends of EPL
(membership can be purchased at the event)
Open to everyone:
Friday, March 15, 12:00-6:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 16, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m
For more information call 522-3333 or email FriendsofEPL@aol.com.
CLEAR YOUR LIBRARY ACCOUNT & START FRESH
Do you have overdue library materials? LONG overdue library materials? LONG, LONG overdue library materials?
WE WILL GLADLY TAKE THEM BACK, and CLEAR YOUR ACCOUNT of all related charges!
Here’s how it works:
- Return all undamaged, overdue materials to the Circulation Desk at any Elkhart Public Library location between March 4 & March 30, 2013.
- THEY MUST BE RETURNED DIRECTLY TO A CIRCULATION STAFF MEMBER. Items dropped in the drop box, return slot or on the counter will not qualify for amnesty.
- The staff member will waive all fines and fees related to the returned items.
For more information call 574-522-2665.
What Animals Can You See at the Zoo?
Bring your family to the Main Library on Wednesday, March 6, for an engaging evening filled with stories and songs about all your favorite zoo animals. Bedtime Storytime is a library program for all ages and designed for families to attend together. The program begins at 6:30 and pajamas are welcome!
There will also be a craft and we will serve animal crackers – the perfect snack for a storytime about zoos!
All Bedtime Storytimes are listed on the Events Calendar:
- Wednesday, March 6, at 6:30 pm: Zoo Fun. Details and sign-up.
- Wednesday, April 3, at 6:30 pm: Bunnies and Carrots. Details and sign-up.
- Wednesday, May 1 at 6:30 pm: Picky Eaters. Details and sign-up.
Cleveland, Dunlap, and Pierre Moran Branches also have Bedtime Storytimes! Go to the Events Calendar to check them out!
Abe Lincoln, Mark Twain and the Civil War
Wednesday, March 6, 7:00 p.m. at the Main Library in Downtown Elkhart
Discover how a Union president and a Confederate deserter fought against slavery and racism pre- and post-Civil War. Join us as veteran performer Dave Ehlert portrays both Lincoln and Twain in this live theatrical production of historical drama, humor and education.
This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Elkhart Public Library.
The event is a perfect prelude to this year’s One Book, One Michiana, April 1-May 11. The 2013 “One Book” selection is THE KILLER ANGELS by Michael Shaara. If you want to get a head start on reading (or listening to) it, you can find it in our online catalog or in area book stores.
Do you need to learn a foreign language for business or travel?
Are you interested in learning a new language just for fun?
¿Te gustaría aprender cómo hablar en Inglés?
With Mango Languages, you can learn a language in the comfort of your own home; on your own schedule. All you need is a high-speed internet connection and a resident Elkhart Public Library card. Learning a new language with Mango Languages is FREE to all resident EPL card holders.
Mango offers 40 foreign languages, as well as ESL (English as a Second Language) courses for speakers of 14 different languages. Each lesson combines real life situations and audio from native speakers with simple, clear instructions.
- Go to myepl.org/info247.
- Find “Language” on the list.
- Click on the plus sign and choose Mango Languages.
- Create a profile. You will be asked to sign in each time you use Mango, so you can track your progress;
- OR Click the “Start Learning” button to use Mango without creating a profile.
- Select a language course or click on the “Translate” tab, which uses the Google translation tool to interpret the ‘gist’ of conversations from one language to another. It is not a substitute for human translations.
Try the first lesson in any language on the Try Mango page.
NOTE: While it is helpful to have a microphone for a more interactive experience, you can benefit from the lessons without one.
Mango in Action
Watch this short video to see Mango Languages in action and learn about how this language learning software actually helps you converse in the language(s) of your choice.
Take your language learning everywhere you go with Mango Mobile Library Edition. Download for Android, iPhone or iPod. For the apps to work, you must first have Mango account set up through the Library. Download the app for your iPhone/iPod or Android device,enter your Mango Languages log-in information, download a course and start learning at your own pace with or without an Internet connection!