Fraud and identity theft are becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s society. With the explosion of information creation, as well as the craftiness of today’s thieves, prevention of fraud and identity theft is more important than ever.
1st Source Bank, in cooperation with Money Smart Week, present “How to Avoid Fraud and Identity Theft.” Join us at the Main Library (room 5) on Monday, April 7 at 6:30 pm to learn about fraud and identity theft prevention, and the steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Is it possible to create a Frankenstein monster? We welcome Elkhart County Coroner Dr. John White, who will tell us whether or not an actual Frankenstein is feasible. He will also fill us in on what he does all day, which generally does not include re-animating corpses. Join us at the Main Library on Wednesday, April 2 at 6:30 p.m. for a live-ly presentation.
This program kicks off One Book, One Michiana 2014, a month-long, community-wide series of discussions and events centered around a single book chosen by the St. Joseph County Public Library.
This year’s selection is FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley. The Elkhart Public Library has an electrifying line-up of activities. Watch for a complete schedule of events, coming soon.
We have just learned that Golden Beats will be coming to the Main Library on Tuesday, March 25, at 10:30 a.m., with an Olympic-themed performance. Their high-energy style is just the thing to get your week off to a rousing start!
Check out this video from their September pirate program:
February was Library Lovers Month. Children, teens and adults who visited the Main Library were invited to write “I ♥ my Library because…” on hearts for display on the Circulation desk.
There are numerous variations on “… because I love to read,” “… for the [books/movies/CDs/computers]”, and “… because of the [nice/friendly/kind/helpful] staff.” Here are some of our favorites. For the most part, we have kept the spelling and grammar as they appear on the hearts. Enjoy!
- I love how the library has books, computers, activities, movies & I love reading.
- I ♥ my library b-cuz it’s always a warm & cozy feeling when I walk in the building. The workers do their best to make sure I have what I need.
- I love the library cause is my 2nd home
- Because they can always help me with whatever I need.
- I love the library for the children’s movies
- This library is an excellent resource for knowledge lovers. The staff is wonderful and ready to help all the time. We are lucky to have the library.
- I love the library because it’s quiet and it’s a great place to study.
- I love my library because I love to read and play games and make new friends.
- Great readers for beginning readers
- I like books alot because I learn stuff that’s why books and librarys are cool
- I love the library; because I can take trips & adventures & visit old memories without having to leave my home
- … Its computer classes are AWESOME
- I love the cardboard CASTLES!
- I like the library because it makes my kids very happy!
- I love this Library because the clerk is cool and its all good
- … it indulges my need for creativity, dreaming, wondering, and imagining the possibilities for free!!
- Because of the books, and computers, and you can get smart and It a education environment that you can get help
- I ♥ the library because it’s quiet
- I love that I can put books on hold – and that you all work so hard to find what I need!
- I love my library because audio books are expensive :-)
- I can always find a great book to read & it is the best job I’ve ever had!
- … T.V. series and the very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- I gives me the knowledge my brain needs
- … I like using the literacy computer and checking out movies and books.
- I love my Library because I was jamming with the clerk :-)
- I love my library because it is the best job and my coworkers are like a second family
- I love the library for the story time
- I git to pik books out
- So many Places to go and Never leave Elkhart :-)
- I love my Library because the service is Awesome
- The Library has great resources for homeschooling.
- … because I have been coming here for years and everyone has always been so nice towards me. Happy Valentines Day
- So many books to keep me company on snow days!
- I love my library because it supplies my book, movie, and music addictions!
- … because it’s quiet and all the books/movies can take you on many adventures
- I love EPL because of the Fancy Nancy books & Princess movies.
- Because it’s AWESOME!
- We ♥ our library because it encourages our children’s imaginations. =)
- Why I love coming to the library Because of the pretty and polite Librarians. Exp. Tina, Patricia
- It’s the best way to travel the WORLD!
- This library give me love and joy! Plus they are very Nice.
- Everyone is just super! Close to home!
- I love the library because it’s so fun, and I like getting new books.
- It makes me feel warm & fuzzy & these are the bestest & nicest people in the world!!!
- I love my Library because of Jill, Tina, & Sarah
- I love my library because it’s a great place to come and get focused class-work done! =)
- I l♥ve my library because they have the most AWSOME comic Books !
- I love my library because it is conveniently located
- Books, books, books, books, books, books
- I love the library because of the fishes and because you can play on the computer.
- If it’s free It’s for me… knowledge… friends…community…
- Kis love love love
- … because I have always found it to be a place to expand my mind and give me inspiration! I use the media and computers every week and all the resources her art great!
- The variety of materials ♥
- I have always loved the library! Whenever I want to know something, I go to the library and take home a bag of books.
- The ladies are sweet and the movies are free like my heart. Ha ha
- Love the Library because… well, let’s face. It’s so cool!!
- Why I Love My Library Wow! It’s a great place to get books – the kind you can hold in hands!
- I love the manga here at main
- What’s not to love about FREE EDUCATION & ENTERTAINMENT
- I love the staff, Interlibrary Loan, & reading! ♥ To all of you!
- Books are knowledge. Use your Public Library
- Because I personally can’t afford all the books I need to read!!
- I love the library for the adventure, the quest for fun & knowledge.
- The kids section & the friendly staff ♥
- I love the smell of books
- I love the library because knowledge is the best thing to have!
- I love EPL for its service to the citizens of Elkhart!
- I love my Library because the librairians are totally awsome
- I love my library because I love to read, and they have tons of books! :-)
- Best Job Ever!
- I love the library help me to get information
- We love the Elkhart Library because they show us love
- What I like about the library is that there are a lot of books and fun things to do.
- Very Entertaining- passes cold nights at home
- … because of all of the wonderful booksI appreciate the youth programs (never get to an adult program), safe place to study, & entertainment. The library is the best!
- Because they always have a new selection
- Because they have everything I need.
- Love is in the air be ready everyone. I love my library because I can read books without paying fortune!
- I love MY Library and how it helps me keep learning ♥
- So much to LEARN!
- I love my library because of the fishies!
- Just wonderful & they are all nice. Thank you always!
- Love t come to the library because they are realy nice and helpful and my kids love comeing here to :-)
- Tina Ervin Is The Best. The Staff always helps me and they are sooo pleasant
- This is the best place in Elkhart to easy the mind relax and learn
- Staff is always ready to help! With a smile !!! :-) YOU ROCK!
The Friends of the Elkhart Public Library will hold their Annual Membership Meeting Wednesday, March 19, at 6:00 pm at the Main Library. Everyone is invited to attend!
The Friends will welcome guest speaker, Matt Schuld, manager of the Elkhart County Historical Museum. Mr. Schuld will talk about the Museum’s fine local history collection, as well its exciting events and developments. One such development is the recent collaboration with our own Elkhart Public Library in cataloging the book collection held in the Museum’s new Corson Library.
Following Mr. Schuld’s presentation, the Friends will hold their annual business meeting and election of officers.