Three movies tied for first place. They are The Blind Side, Remember the Titans and The Longest Yard (1974). A close second was Brian’s Song. There was also a three-way tie for third: Rudy, We are Marshall and Necessary Roughness . Other favorites include North Dallas Forty, The Waterboy, Invincible and The Replacements. Also named were The Junction Boys, Gus, Wildcats, The Longest Yard (2005) and Friday Night Lights.
What are your favorite football flicks? Leave a comment and let us know.
Education to Go (ed2go)
Welcome to your FREE Online Learning Library!
Elkhart Public Library now offers a wide range of FREE, highly interactive courses. Take each course entirely over the Internet at your convenience, from work, home, school, or anywhere else… 24/7, 365 days a year! All courses are led by expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin monthly.
Courses are FREE to resident Elkhart Public Library card holders.
To take advantage of this exciting learning opportunity:
- Go to myepl.org/info247,
- Find “Online Learning Courses” on the list,
- Click on the plus sign and choose “Education to Go.”
Follow the steps below to request a FREE passcode. The passcode verifies that you are an Elkhart Public Library card holder and allows you to access your course for FREE. This will be entered on the “payment” line in the enrollment process.
To request a passcode from the Elkhart Public Library ed2go homepage:
- You will be required to enter your name, Elkhart Public Library card barcode and your email address. If you do not have an email address, free accounts such as Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo! Mail are available on the Internet.
- Once you submit the required information, your passcode will appear on the screen, and will also be sent to your email inbox. (To avoid having the email sent to your junk folder, be sure to add @cengage.com as a safe sender in your email.)
- You must attend class within the first two weeks, or you will be dropped from the course.
Search for a specific course or browse the catalog to view the hundreds of titles that are available.
- Course descriptions contain the following options:
- Enroll Now
- View Demo
- Instructor Bio
- Student Reviews
Once you have selected a course, click on the “Enroll Now” button.
- Choose the start date you would like (please note, you will not be able to access lesson one until that start date). You may enroll in a course two weeks past the start date, but no later. You must attend class within the first two weeks, or you will be dropped from the course.
- If this is your first time enrolling in an ed2go course, enter your email address in the New Student Box and click on “Create Account”. If you are a returning student, simply type in your email address and password used in your last registration.
- As a New Student you will need to complete the Account and Student Information page and click on the “Continue to Payment Options” button. As a returning student you will be taken directly to the payment options page. Please note that you can submit generic information in the student section. Your information is not tracked or shared.
Activate your course by entering your Passcode on the payment page.
- At the Payment Options Page please enter the passcode provided by your library and click the “Pre-Authorized Passcode” button. Please note: a passcode can only be used for one course registration.
Congratulations! You are now enrolled and will receive a confirmation at the email address you provided. If you require assistance please click on the “Help” tab at the top of the page to email a member of the Student Support Team. Enjoy your course!
EPL Tax Links
A comprehensive resource for tax forms and information
The Elkhart Public Library will continue to make paper tax forms available this year – to the extent that the IRS and the Indiana Dept. of Revenue make them available. As the State of Indiana continues to promote online filing, they send fewer and fewer forms every year. You can, however, access the forms and information you need through the Elkhart Public Library.
Our Tax Information Links include:
- 1040.com (IRS forms, instructions and publications)
- Local IRS offices and contact information
- Indiana forms and publications
- Indiana district offices contact information
- Formularios y Publicaciones en Español
- Many more how-to, where-to, when-to and why-to links
These resources can be accessed from your home computer, as well as computer stations at all EPL locations. Forms may be printed at a cost of 15 cents per page.
We also have many “paper-and-ink” resources. Check our Reference and Nonfiction collections for books covering a wide variety of tax-related topics. J.K. LASSER’S YOUR INCOME TAXES is available at all EPL Locations. It is a comprehensive and comprehensible guide to tax preparation.
Volunteers from United Way’s VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program will be at the Main Library:
- Mondays, January 28 through April 15, 12 noon-5:00 PM
- Wednesdays, January 23 through April 10, 2:00- 7:00 PM
- Saturdays, January 26 through April 13, 9:00 AM-12:30 PM
To schedule an appointment at the Main Library, call 211.
NOTE: Some cell phone providers do not allow access to 211. United Way of Elkhart is working on this issue. If 211 does not work with your phone, call 574-293-8671 or schedule online at United Way’s VITA web page (http://www.uwsjc.org/vita)
AARP (American Association of Retired People) Tax-Aide volunteers will be at the Osolo Branch:
- Saturdays, February 9 through April 6, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM (except March 9 and 16)
To schedule an appointment at the Osolo Branch, call the Branch at 264-7234.
If further information becomes available, we will update this blog and post a note on our FaceBook page.
This year’s filing deadline is Monday, April 15.
During the week of December 3, through December 8, 2012, all Locations of the Elkhart Public Library will accept donations of food for payment of overdue fines. All food items collected will benefit Church Community Services.
Donations must be:
- NO HOMEMADE ITEMS will be accepted
- Pet food is acceptable.
For each food item you bring, we will waive 50 cents of your fines.
Unopened, undamaged toiletries and personal care items will also be accepted.