Obituary Index Search Tips:
A search for an obituary can be performed a number of ways. The more information you know and enter in the search boxes the easier it will be to locate the name you want, but more general searches are also possible.
These are examples of various searches that can be performed:
- Last name only – this will find all the individuals with this last name
- First name only – finds all the individuals with this first or middle name)
- First and last name
- First name and maiden name
- Last, first and maiden name
- First name and prior married name (enter prior married name in “Maiden Name” search box)
- Last name and nickname (enter nickname in “First Name” search box)
The whole name does not not have to be entered:
For example, typing “Nof” in the “Last Name” search box will find the names “Noffsinger,” “Nofsinger,” “Noftsker,” “Nofziger,” etc.
To search for an obituary on a single date using the calendar, use this format:
From: 9-5-1926 To: 9-6-1926
This will bring up obituaries appearing in the Elkhart Truth on September 5, 1926.
To search a broader range of dates, the same process applies – obituaries from the starting date up to (but NOT including) the ending date will be shown.